Location: 79th Street, east side
Artist/Designer: A. Walter Beretta, designer; John Wilson, architect
Funding: The Irving and Estelle Levy Foundation
This playful, two-leaved gate at the entrance to the Pat Hoffman Friedman playground is the work of A. Walter Beretta, artisan for the New York City Parks and Recreation office of monuments from 1934 until his death in 1966. On each side, eight monkeys climb the gate posts, which are topped with a wise old owl and an acorn-munching squirrel.
This gate originally adorned the Irving and Estelle Levy playground, which the Pat Hoffman Friedman playground replaced. The gate was conserved and moved to its present location in 1989.
Click on the photo to enlarge